The Case of the Skeleton's Closet

The victim was The Town's Most Feared and Despised Resident because he wrote a book about his town and named names. I have a vague memory of a paperback that I bought for the local library in the 1990s about actual people in a small town. I can't come up with a title, although there's always Methland, which is about Oelwein, Iowa. Or for something friendly, there's Jerry Ford's book about his old stomping grounds in Southeast Missouri, The Gordonville Grove.

In this episode of Perry Mason, the tell-all guy is told off, with a bullet. There were a lot of familiar TV faces from the era. Keith Andes, Frank Aletter, Dabbs Greer, even Bob's sister from The Bob Newhart Show, Pat Finley.

Dabbs Greer, a native of southwest Missouri, plays his usual wacko role well. He was a water and light workman who was called to the house where the murder was committed. The resident (the victim) had asked to have the power and water turned on.
Dabbs: I got the call at 5:15. That’s just minutes before I go off duty. There was a church meeting I was to attend that night, and I was annoyed how inconsiderate some people can be of the rights of others. It’s selfish, unsocial, immoral if you ask me.

Perry zooms in on his holier-than-thou attitude.
PM: If you were biased –  fanatically righteous, let us assume – would you permit that prejudice to affect your objectivity, your ability to see and tell the truth?

This question interested me because I know someone who has a souvenir from Germany.
PM: Were you in World War II? ... Pick up any souvenirs in Germany? Any you registered with the Army before you brought them home?

Here's another hot-button item these days.
PM: And may I ask you, sir, to satisfy my own curiosity, is it usual for a stationery-supply establishment to sell guns?
Frank Aletter: No, I wouldn't say usual. I like guns. I happen to be quite an expert with them. Selling is sort of an excuse to have a big collection of my own.

The episode had a Black judge. I don’t think think he had any lines, because there weren't any objections during this trial. We will not interrupt people on their crusades!

And in the wrap-up, Paul is held up for some ridicule. What was up with this writer anyway?
PM: Things are seldom what they seem.
PD: Hey, I know how that one ends. Things are seldom what they seem. Skim milk masquerades as cream. How’s that?
DS: You’re right, Perry. Things are seldom what they seem.

Yuk-yuk.